Thursday, January 15, 2009

DC Family & Friends / Zha Zhang Mian (짜장면)

1/1 - 1/2/2009


[The seventh and penultimate entry in a series of eight
photographic recollections of my travels over the
Christmas and New Year's holidays.]

Thursday01.01.2008

Departing from Williamsburg early in the morning, we
arrived in Bethesda, Maryland precisely on-schedule to
meet up with my friends Ray and Soyoon at the
Montgomery Mall, conveniently located directly across
the street from my grandmother's apartment.

Image001
Tori.

Image002

Image003
Soyoon and Ray arrived around noon; my family headed off, on the
return trip to Delaware, and we took a summary lap around the mall
before deciding to head off to the Mall.

Image004
National Sculpture Garden.

Image005

Image006

Image007

Image008

Image009
Ray looking coquettish.

Image010

Image011

Image013
Graf on the street, Art is everywhere.

After a quick stroll across the (frigid) Mall, we hit the National Air
and Space Museum
.

Image015

Image018
Indecipherable tag (wack handstyle), National Mall, Washington, DC.

Image019

Image021

Image022

Image024
The pool, half-frozen, bore the weight of several local (water)fowl.

Image025

Image026
We took a quick detour through the National Botanic
Gardens' outdoor portion before heading back to Ray's
car, and thence on to Grandma's.

Image027

Image030

Image033

Image034
Mad good, of all sorts of food: pickled bamboo,
scrambled eggs with fried onions, duck, and Chinese
barbecued pork.

Image035
A mother and grandmother's refrigerator photographs: My dad (L,
ca. 1955) and me (R, ca. early-1990s).

Image036
Me, 1988, from 奶奶's extensive photo album
collection.

Friday12.26.2008

On Friday, Neul Kkot and I ran errands with my
grandmother: grocery shopping, household chores, and
stopping by the nearby public library to use the internet
and borrow some movies to watch that night.

Image037
Not this one.

As night approached, we returned home and began preparations for
cooking Jja Jjang Myeon (炸酱面).

Image038

Image040

Image041
Ahhhh, my favorite... give me this and rice and I am
set for a week+.

Image042
炸酱面, 水饺, and 小鸡翼. Chea!

After eating a ridickolus large dinner meal, I took off for a lengthy nap
while Neul Kkot did some reading. Ray returned later that night to
hang out and sleep over. After he grabbed a quick bite (and I further
demolished a bunch of the dumplings), we decided to head out and
(thanks to my borrowed GPS) find a video rental place, plus grab some
snacks.

After only getting lost a little, we found a Blockbuster.

Image043
There is no need for this remake.

And a Giant.

Image044
There is no need for this food.

[Next: A day in Baltimore! and a trip to Commonwealth
DC, plus my first night at my 老家 in 2009.]

1 comment:

K.Rock said...

So it turns out the correct spelling, according to the Korean language authorities, is 자장면. But nobody pronounces it that way. Go figure.