Sunday, January 25, 2009

blatant rip of Staple Design... tsk tsk.

[Originally submitted to You Thought We Wouldn't Notice...]


After seeing the blatant rips of another designer by milkshopgang.com, I decided to head on over and see what's up.

I was unsurprised to discover that the very first tee in their Men's section is an (at least to me) obvious rip of one of my favorite design firms' 10th anniversary tees.

Staple Design handles several high-profile clients, as well as an in-house line of tees/cut-and-sew garments.

For comparison's sake:

milkshopgang rip
milkshopgang rip
Original on the Left
Original on the Left

I do see how it's not a 100% steal: cleverly, milkshopgang put a cityscape (from what source?...) in the lower half of the X, but it's still fairly egregious.

I dropped jeffstaple, the owner/founder of Staple, a line via his blog; hopefully his legal department can reach out and touch "Australia's fresh design talent" (rolling my eyes at that one).


Update (1/26/2009): Apparently the viewing public of You Thought We Wouldn't Notice isn't seeing this as a rip; jeffstaple, meanwhile, posted a little jab at milkshop (linking to my post on YTWWN) on his personal blog.

No comments: