Monday, June 30, 2008

Congratulations Mr. and Mrs.... somebody?

My buddy Adam's coworker was getting married, doing it big (I been
saying this a lot recently, I think my students got no clue what I mean
by that... I don't fully know what I mean by that), Korean style.

(Maybe it has something to do with Big Willie Style?)

Anyways, what better did I have to do on a Friday night in Seoul other than
crash a wedding?

(All pictures stolen from my homeboy Gabe, whom Adam introduced
to me that night. They both go to the church in Seoul I've been
attending the last 2 Sundays.)

SL370438
When Koreans do it big they go big... this can be a ridiculous country
(I will likely go on at length in my next post about how if I see
one more Louis bag on the subway I am fin'na go upside someone
head.)

SL370445

SL370442
Again: they go big.

n865790160_3402924_4224
To repeat: Big.

The interesting thing was, it's all one big performance. Guests
(especially those guests who have absolutely no direct relationship
or shared family tree with the happy couple...) were directed
downstairs to eat, with our choice of Chinese or Western food. The
upstairs level (where the ceremony was taking place) was for
lookies, not touchies.

I was truly straight with that though. Those of you who know me
well know that I am all about chilling with a Few Good Men [||].
So Adam, Gabe, and I followed a Ritz-Carlton worker downstairs
to their 四川饭馆儿 and kicked it while they brought us mad courses
of... Chinese food?

n865790160_3402933_6806

I saw another table getting a polaroid taken (old-school, Andre
3Stacks' "Shake it like a Polaroid picture" style), so I artlessly, as
the hostess passed our table holding the camera, totally blurted out
to Adam: "AY YO WE OUGHTA GET OUR PICTURE TOOK".

Turns out, the other table was celebrating a 1st wedding
anniversary. My bad.

Still, she was far too polite/courteous to turn down the blatant
request from the guests that had been sitting in their dining room
for TWO AND A HALF HOURS, so we got our picture took.

SL370456
Then took a picture with our took picture.

Side note: I love how Gabe's camera focused very obviously on
the Polaroid, with complete abandonment (and blurring) of any
actual human subject. Real recognize real, I guess.

SL370455
干杯.

SL370454

b

n865790160_3402945_468


Rest of the story is that, after we left the wedding, Adam and I
decided to kick it in a Burger King near the Gangnam subway
station for a while, talking about spiritual matters (specifically,
the relative merits of theologies of salvation from and salvation
to)... and by the time we rolled out, it was too late for me to catch
the last train back to Ilsan, the suburb where I live. So I wound
up spending the night in his host house in Gwacheon, then riding
back to Ilsan the next morning, heading into work to pick up some
tests, teaching a bunch of 9-year-olds a lesson I was highly
unqualified to teach, then getting back to my place around noon on
Saturday.

This is what it is on the weekend in Korea.

SL370480
BOWLIN!!!

No comments: